Sunday, February 22nd, 7:00 p.m.
THERE'S NO LOVE IN ROCK AND ROLL:
Songs from American Romance Comics
1950's - 1970's
From Harlequin Enterprises to Hollywood chick-flicks, from The Flame and the Flower to Fifty Shades of Grey, the romance genre has preyed on the desires and insecurities of women as successfully as Don Juan, along the way producing the most lurid and ripely evocative story titles outside of tabloid journalism. In no medium was this more evident than American romance comics, popular from the 1950s to the 1970s. We've gathered a choice sampling of these sensational gems, handed them to Bay Area songwriters, and granted them the freedom of a libertine to make of them what they would. The results - brilliant, artful, unexpectedly poignant, and not above tawdry, will make you swoon. Join us for a concert of this all-original material, a collective gesture of love to benefit WriterCoach Connection and your fluttering heart. It'll be Fabio.
First Person Singular complements its regular series with a monthly, musical open mic based on a theme. A new take on the traditional hootenanny, HOOT! delves into the entirety of popular song - our modern folk inheritance - in programs that highlight our perennial concerns: love, cars, money, summer, and pitching wang dang doodles. We'll celebrate the singular songbooks of select artists, and create living mix-tapes out of myriad sub-genres. Ready for new experiment in collective performance? Then sign up below and get in on the act!
It'll be a HOOT!
St. Alban's Parish Hall
1501 Washington Ave.
Albany , CA
A BENEFIT FOR
Joe Christiano & Theresa Kelly
The Rules (don't apply for this HOOT! See above).
- Cover songs only! (And covering your Aunt Tillie doesn't count).*
- One song (or 5 mins, including intro) per performer. (You may provide unlimited support to other performers).
- Quick set-up. Small amps are okay, but HOOT! is essentially unplugged.
- A piano will be available. Apart from that, bring your own banjo.
- No "sing and scram." Every performer deserves an audience, and HOOT! is designed to be a group effort.
- You may perform solo, duo, small group, a capella, instrumental - however you see fit.
- $5 (or what you can afford) in the hat for all attendees - performing and non.
* Original songs are occasionally permitted, but must be credited in performance to Paul Anka.
Come for the show, or sign up to sing!
Art by Jen Oaks