Saturday, May 3rd, 7:00 p.m.
California Bookstore Day!
Numbering Our Faults: California Songs
A Pegapalooza Event! Celebrating 45 years of Pegasus Books
You know the way to San Jose. You went to San Francisco and put flowers in your hair. You're stuck in Lodi... again. Steer your little deuce coupe to the East Bay and sing about it! California - one of the most sung-about states - is the promised land within the Promised Land. The place to bring your dreams. But for every Mark Zuckerberg there are a million Tom Joads, and the way to Hollywood always seems to be through Chinatown. California is David Hockney and James Ellroy. It's Ansel Adams and Lindsay Lohan. It's a hipster reading Nathanael West in a West L.A. cafe. Frankenstein. Gertrude Stein. We've got a multitude of theres here, folks, and we plan to visit them all at our next HOOT!
1855 Solano Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94707
First Person Singular complements its regular series with a monthly, musical open mic based on a theme. A new take on the traditional hootenanny, HOOT! delves into the entirety of popular song - our modern folk inheritance - in programs that highlight our perennial concerns: love, cars, money, summer, and pitching wang dang doodles. We'll celebrate the singular songbooks of select artists, and create living mix-tapes out of myriad sub-genres. Ready for new experiment in collective performance? Then sign up below and get in on the act!
It'll be a HOOT!
Hosted by Joe Christiano & Theresa Kelly
- Cover songs only! (And covering your Aunt Tillie doesn't count).*
- One song per performer. (You may provide unlimited support to other performers).
- Quick set-up. Small amps are okay, but HOOT! is essentially unplugged.
- A piano will be available. Apart from that, bring your own banjo.
- No "sing and scram." Every performer deserves an audience, and HOOT! is designed to be a group effort.
- You may perform solo, duo, small group, a capella, instrumental - however you see fit.
- $5 (or what you can afford) in the hat for all attendees - performing and non.
* Original songs are occasionally permitted, but must be credited in performance to Paul Anka.
Come sing, or just come for the show!
Art by Jen Oaks