Sunday, December 15, 7:00 p.m.
Back in the Saddle:
Songs of Return
Have you gone astray? Have you been displaced? Have you run away from home only to find that there's no place like home? Join us as we circle back to the hearth to tell of our journeys, reconnect with our roots, see what's changed in our absence. Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again", but you certainly can; you just might need to redecorate.
First Person Singular complements its regular series with a monthly, musical open mic based on a theme. A new take on the traditional hootenanny, HOOT! delves into the entirety of popular song - our modern folk inheritance - in programs that highlight our perennial concerns: love, cars, money, summer, and pitching wang dang doodles. We'll celebrate the singular songbooks of select artists, and create living mix-tapes out of myriad sub-genres. Ready for new experiment in collective performance? Then sign up below and get in on the act!
It'll be a HOOT!
St. Alban's Episcopal Church
1501 Washington Ave.
Albany, CA 94707
Hosted by Joe Christiano & Theresa Kelly
- Cover songs only! (And covering your Aunt Tillie doesn't count).*
- One song per performer. (You may provide unlimited support to other performers if called to do so).
- Quick set-up. Small amps are okay, but HOOT! is essentially unplugged.
- A piano will be available. Apart from that, bring your own banjo.
- No "sing and scram." Every performer deserves an audience, and HOOT! is designed to be a group effort.
- You may perform solo, duo, small group, a capella, instrumental - however you see fit.
- $5 (or what you can afford) in the hat for all attendees - performing and non.
* Original songs are occasionally permitted, but must be credited in performance to Paul Anka.
Come sing, or just come for the show!
Art by Jen Oaks